Carpentry - 1

I seem to have gotten a bit of the carpentry bug.

The room with the Dragon Door needed a table and as I did have some spare time I decided to build one.

I'm a big fan of really long dining tables because somehow they feel grander. I decided to build one as long as the room would allow.

Dimensions : 20 feet 10 inches (about 6.35 meters) x 3 feet 3 inches (about 1 meter)
Height (table top) : 29.5 inches
Seating capacity : 22

For the table top I decided to reclaim wood left over from the old doors and windows that were taken down during the renovation. I mixed and matched 7 kinds of wood (Tuna, Sal, Pine, Cheed, Sagwan, Sheesham & Deodar), glued and nailed them to a wooden skeleton structure (again made from reclaimed wood).

For the legs I decided to make 6 circular rings to match the door of the room. The rings were made with Plyboard & MDF and later panelled with small pieces of deodar wood.

After that I started work on the chairs. I wanted something rustic so ordered a hundred eucalyptus trees (2" - 3" in diameter). Cut them up into various lengths and glued them into the basic structure of the chairs. Now for the seat of the chair I thought of using the same idea we used for the table top but that just ended up looking weird. So I went to the guys who sell wood here in Nainital asked them to re-saw some 1" wooden planks of cheed from the 9"x 6" beams they had lying around.

Instead of planning the boards which would have made em smooth I decided to leave them as is showing the band saw marks. I cut these boards to the size i needed with my jigsaw and table saw. Post this I went nuts with a blow torch and burnt one of the faces of this wood. Sanded it a bit and just nailed em into place. As it did have some splinters on the sitting face which would stick to clothing i decided to put a thick coat of casting epoxy on it to en-case those without ruining the design and that  worked quite well.

The finishing for the table top was done by a professional as I would have made a rotten mess of that.

After that I did a couple of other smaller woodworking projects.

I wanted to try my hand at model making and as Star Wars force awakens was coming up I decided to make a model of the Mellinium falcon. This was mostly done using using the jigsaw and an angle grinder with a sandpaper attachment.

Orcrist - Always wanted one. Again angle grinder and Jigsaw. Loads and loads of hand sanding.

The Elder Wand. As I do not own a lathe I went with M-Seal and made the knots. Spray paint and blow torching to give it the finish.

May the 4th - X wing. Loads of chiseling for this as I did not want to use the grinder because the last  time it just messed up workshop with mounds of dust.

Mother's Day - Bird House made with plywood with waterproof clay to give it a slight texture. Cut down an old metal plate with a jigsaw to make the roof.

A lamp

An Infinity Table with RGB LEDs

Im currently working on two big carpentry related projects. I am documenting those using video. So keep a lookout for when I post those.

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbiton Style Circular Door

DIY Polariscope