Jul 12, 2011

Quadrocopter - Part 8 - Failure

The quadrocopter project was going fine till i decided to start soldering the circuit for the flight controller. I've burnt my hand countless times while soldering - frankly speaking im lousy at it - but this was worse.

I was powering the circuit from the BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) on one of my ESCs. As it happens due to the genius of my soldering technique i accidentally shorted the GND and the VCC of the BEC together and as soon as i connected the battery there was a crack sound and the inevitable distruction of the ESC. Thankfully we did have a spare ESC at home that was being used in a hovercraft project that my flatmate was working on so that got sorted.


The Burnt-Up ESC.

After that things got worse. The maiden test flight - not conducted by me - of the quadrocopter (done just by connecting the ESC's to the RF receiver with no gyros and no control circuitry) did not go well - as expected - and the entire thing just flipped over after going about 8-10 feet in the air and came down in a less than controlled fashion (Damn gravity). The damage was minimalist - the lower acrylic sheet got a crack on it and 2 of the propellers had light scratches on them. After this i decided to replace the acrylic sheets with something less brittle  some time later decided to make the entire structure - this time with a few changes.

Then that someone accidentally sat on the flight controller board for the quadrocopter (also called Luke) and broke it into 2 pieces. Thankfully i had spares for all the components for the board so i will be re-soldering it and this time i will be careful.

I will write a post as soon as im done with the new structure and the new board but that could be some time.

Quadrocopter - Part 7 - Updates

Its been about 2 months since I've written about anything on the blog. This was mainly because i got lazy and partly because i had nothing new to report. So now for the updates on the quadrocopter project.

Firstly i got the pyramid ready and fixed on top of the quadrocopter.This is how it looks:


Note:The RF Remote in the pic is not the one im using now. This was just a temporary 9ch radio that the people at RCHobbyAddict.com sent me until the ones i ordered arrived. It was freaking awesome though.


I also added some acrylic sheet pieces to be used as landing gear which was not a very good idea so i replaced them with some foam pieces - they work extremely well.

I also measured the weight of the quadrocopter and it was about 1.7Kg (including 2 batteries).

I then finally received the the RF transmitter and receiver that i ordered (Hobby-King 2.4GHz FHSS 6Ch Tx-Rx - Mode 2from RCHobbyAddict.com at a reasonable price.This worked rite out of the box and all i had to do was plug it in. I've done some testing and was able to get about 600 meters range (Line of Sight) after which the limitations of my testing area came into play and so i left it as it is.




PS: I just bought an apple keyboard and by-jove its comfortable to type on so i hope there will be a lot more blogging.